Sunday, November 9, 2008

Moving Forward

What a historic week it has been. Barack Obama is the President-elect of the United States of America! I still get excited when clips of his victory speech are played, I beam with pride.
Now that Obama is going to be the President we can't sit down, go into hiding, or get content. We must continue to be as politically active and aware as we have been in this election. There is still work to be done. The bar has been raised! We must walk a little straighter and with our heads held high.


Now that the bar has been raised here are some things parents and students can do to make sure the we don't go to sleep on the job. In order to get to the mountaintop we have to keep on keeping on. I have two... let's call them oaths\affirmations\reminders of our roles and responsibilities


Students

I will try my hardest in everything I do.
I will strive for excellence at all times, even if my parents are not pushing me to do so.
I won't mock my peers because they speak English well, nor will I make fun of those who have good grades. I will try to emulate them.
It is cool to read books that are not assigned by my teachers. Not just "hood books".
I will hold myself accountable for my own actions.
I will respect my teachers and take my education serious.
I now know that with education all things are possible.
I will dream bigger. There are no limitations on who I can become.
If I work hard I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.




Parents

I will play an active role in all areas of my child's\children's life
I will check their homework
I will make time to go to Parent teacher conference night\day
I'll encourage my children and nurture their dreams instead of telling them what they can't do
I am not my child's friends which means: I won't buy them inappropriate clothing, smoke any substance with them, drink with them, nor will I be afraid to discipline them because I'm afraid "they won't like me".
I'll set rules and boundaries
The T.V. is not a babysitter neither is Wii ,PS3, a computer or any other electronic device
There are other methods to discipline my kids besides beating them (it's still an option, just not the only option)
I'll read to my young children
I'll teach them to be accountable for their actions
I won't curse at my children, EVER
I will listen to my children
I will be a role model for my children
I'll teach them that if they dream of something and work hard for it they can accomplish it.

Let me know if I missed anything

No comments:

Post a Comment