Thursday, February 12, 2009

Black Sitcoms

What the heck happened to black sitcoms?

There was Julia staring Diahnn Carroll in the 60s. The Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford and Son, Different Strokes in the 70s. Amen, The Cosby Show, A Different World, Family Matters, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, 227 in the 80s. Roc, In Living Color, Arsenio Hall, Martin, Sister Sister, Moesha, Girlfriends, Living Single in the 90s. Where have all the good shows like this gone? I can't name any decent black shows that came out in the 2000s that are on the level of the previously mentioned shows... wait My Wife and Kids is the exception. Ok wait there were a few more decent shows One on One and All of Us, but I don't think these two shows were the caliber of the others either.

During the 90s there was a a black sitcom on nearly every network...positive black shows. What happened? To be honest I have no idea. I'm actually quite disappointed that there isn't a wide variety of black shows to watch. I found it pretty inspiring to see examples of black love, success, intelligence, and sense on community on television. It saddens me to hear young kids in the hallways of the school I work in dumb excited (dang that's mad old) to talk about the previous nights episode of I luv New York, Hell Date,Real Housewives of Atlanta, Bad Girls club etc... but, the same students looked at me like I was crazy when I told them to watch Queen on TV One... I digress. I'm not saying all black shows need to be serious and intellectually stimulating but can we have some positive shows again?

I miss 90s tv sitcoms dearly. The cool theme songs (Fresh Prince and Living Single in particular), actual story lines, seeing the characters interact with each other, bringing light to social issues(A Differenet World and Roc) Dam they just don't make good tv like they used to. What are your favorite shows form back in the day (black, white, Latino, whatever)? Why aren't there good black sitcoms anymore?



4 comments:

  1. so i guess you forgot that flavor of love, i love new york, and real chance at love are unofficially considered the new "black sitcoms"?

    nah but seriously you forgot Girfriends lol.

    yes what has happened to black sitcoms? Can you imagine what our children are going to be watching on TV Land, TV One, and BET 20-30 years from now that will be then considered "classics"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I did mention Girlfriends.

    Our kids will see reruns of Runs House, Making the Band 1-4 lol, and House of Payne as classic TV. So sad. I think we're going to have to perfect our writing game and write shows

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn i def missed that lol

    please spare me when those shows along with meet the browns are considered classic television. and yes we do need to write some worthy shows, but the question is will people in this generation appreciate them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an excellent entry and you hit the spot, right on point! I can't think of hardly and really good black sitcoms outside of maybe The Game that came out in the 2000s. The 2000s black sitcoms were kind of lame. The 90s and some of the 80s were filled with black sitcoms, good and enjoyable ones! A lot of (not all) of these kids today are stupid. They have no idea what good entertainment is, but you know, it's really not their fault. I blame the media for promoting this cheap reality crap cause that's all it is.

    ReplyDelete