Monday, March 2, 2009

Body art and Piercings


According to various articles and news reports i've seen, tattooing and piercing has been on the rise in the past 20 years. It's often cited that tattoos and piercings used to only be associated with biker clubs, thugs, and military personnel. I guess that is somewhat true. When I was younger I had a friend that lived near a local motor cycle club and the members were extra tatted and pierced up. And there were a few OGs in my hood that had a few tatts.

In the past 8-9 years i've noticed everybody and their mama, literally has tattoos and or piercings. This older lady at my home church showed me her new tattoo in the bathroom (why I have no idea). I've seen older folks getting new tattoos and piercings in shops pretty regularly. What's up with that? I can understand the current generation (35 and younger) getting inked up but what with the older folks? Is it an attempt to recapture their youth? Or have they always wanted one and never had the balls to do it. I've seen older folks with some questionable tattoos. When I got my first one this older woman (probably early 50s) was getting a tatt of cherries with a mouth behind it...WTH? why are you getting that @ 50ish? Another time I saw a 40 something woman getting her name on her arm... WTF? At 40is you still don't know how your name looks? If you're older at least get something tasteful.

I have two tattoos (the picture @the top is my first one) and 2 piercings besides my ears. I think my tattoos are tasteful and they actually mean something to me. But, my tatts are pretty hidden. People at my job have no idea. I like that. at work i'm a cool very corporate looking lady and in the evening and on weekends I'm a 20 something with ink.

So what do you all think about tattoos and piercings? Are they a turn-on or turn-0ff? Is there a such thing as too many tatts or piercings? What do you have pierced or inked on you?

1 comment:

  1. I met a women who was definitely in her 50s who had one either around on her arm I think. A teacher for 30+ years mind you!

    See I was never a tattoo person but I'm just curious to see everyone who has them when they reach 50

    ReplyDelete