Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ignoramos


Last night I was talking with a male friend and somehow or another intellectuals were mentioned. The convo went like this


Him: I'm highly intellectual. Wouldn't you agree?

Me: ummm if that's what you believe

H: You don't think i'm intellectual

M: I don't think you're stupid and you definitely know some things

H: What do you rate my intellect on a scale of 1-10

M: I don't like this question. are you prepared for the answer

H: Go ahead tell me

M: a 5 or 5.5

H: You've gotta be kidding

M: *Silent*


If you have to ask if someone regards you as an intellectual chances are you are not. Why in sam-hell would he ask me that? I wasn't out to break him down or anything like that but it needed to be done. I usually let fools ramble on and on and let them keep making a fool of themselves. But, last night he was getting way too condescending. He thought because I was quiet "see you can't refute my argument. clearly your lack of comments shows i'm right. just admit i'm more intelligent than you". And that is the comment that made me have to check him. How dare he challenge me. (Satya has slightly masculine ego...perhaps i got it from my father hmmm). I don't think i'm a genius or anything like that. I think i'm as intelligent as most college grads. I don't feel the need to flaunt what I know about a subject in front of someone who doesn't nor do I say things to get attention and have people tell me "you're so smart'. Its not necessary. Stop trying so hard

But if you're feeling bold and decide to challenge me directly bring it. So basically I had to shut him down and by the end of the convo he was telling me that he didn't appreciate me putting him down and belittling him. Don't start no stuff, won't be no stuff. So now I shall present a list of the some ways to know whether or not you're an intelligent

-If you ONLY read Hip-Hop magazines, hood books, and comic strips. you're not an intellectual. Broaden you're horizons (note the emphasis on ONLY)

-If you can only converse about one topic with ease and knowledge, you're not intelligent. You should be well versed in many areas. It should be anything from English lit. classics to chopped and screwed to the latest movies to events in history to the latest technology.

- If you cannot answer questions about an argument you are making, you're not an intelligent. Don't make an argument if you can't defend\answer questions about it.

-If you ask someone are you intelligent, you're not

- If you try to change the meanings of words to express what you're saying, you're not very bright

-A final note, Just b\c you graduated form college doesn't mean you're intelligent. I know some college grads that make scratch my head sometimes


I know there's more but i'll stop here. Go on add to the list. What are some ways to know whether or not you're intelligent

1 comment:

  1. If you change the subject immaturely during an "intellectual" convo just b/c the other person has proved you wrong is another one!

    but the one about questioning someone about your very own level of intellectuality is NO.1 on my list!!!

    ReplyDelete