Monday, March 30, 2009

The Princess and the frog


Many apologies for not posting. I've been sick the past week. But i'm back.

So I heard for a while that Disney is finally making a princess movie with a black princess. Yay!!! I'm an adult and i'm excited for it. It's so long overdue. Back in my day the princesses were Arielle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan. Since no one was black I just automoatically aligned myself with Princess Jasmine. She had a brown complexion. Her hair looked thick and she wasn't a pushover princess. She was cool. But I still wanted a black princess to look up to.


Apparently there's some controversy about the movie because the prince is not black. He's not white either he's one of those you can't tell kinda folks. People are upset because every other princess had a boo that was the same ethnicity. I'm not really bothered by it. I think it's cool for biracial kids and black kids to finally have their Disney character. Theblack kids can see a a princess they can identify with and biracial kids can see a couple that looks like mommy and daddy. Kudos for everyone.


The article ends by saying little black boys will have to wait another 20 for "their"character but I don't know if I agree with that. I know little black boys so need a character thats their own, but I don't think the "princess" movies really effect boys or linger in their subconscious. I remember in elementary school the girls gathered around saying they wanted to be like Arielle or Aurora or Jasmine. I never heard the boys saying I want to be like Prince Eric or John Smith. These movies are geared more towards girls and greatly affect them. How many grown women have you heard say i'm looking formy Prince Charming or knight in shining armor. I've yet to hear a grown man say I want my Mulan or Cinderella. Fairytales cater to girls.

I'm excited for Princess Tiana. So folks is the "contraversy" overblown? Are you going to boycott b\c the prince isn't black? Guys did you ever identify with any of the princes?


3 comments:

  1. People have nothing better to complain about since their simplistic minds can't comprehend real issues the world is facing. I think its good. I'm tired of seeing "politically correct" things in Disney. Now all they need is a homosexual couple and they'd be good.

    P.S. The prince is voiced by a Brazilian man. Last time I checked, most Brazilians had some kind of African heritage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. disney lives and dies by being "politically correct", having a homosexual couple in a movie= all sorts of hell breakin loose... MAYHEM!

    but i'm anxious to see that and this new movie coming out

    ReplyDelete