Wednesday, January 21, 2009

400 years in the making




Today January 20,2009 was an AMAZING day! Amazing is an understatement. I can't even think of a word to describe the feeling of the day. The people and the mood was awesome!

With that being said what if everyday in America was like inauguration day? People helped each other. Strangers gave each other water and helped each other hop over barricades. People were friendly. You could just start talking to people and they would respond and were interested in your conversation. There was a sense of community. There was a lady standing near me with a baby and the baby didn't have any gloves or anything to cover his face and people gave the lady a scarf to cover the kid's face and little mittens with the warm packets in them. People were calm and even tempered. It was crowded and people were bumping into each other, in each other's personal space and no one bugged out. It was peaceful. It made me think about the way my grandmother described the way the black community was during Jim Crow in the south.

I've always been proud to be an American, but yesterday I experienced patriotism. I was proud and fell in love with my country. I beamed watching old glory wave and when I heard the Star Spangled Banner. Many people experienced a similar feeling. So my question is, Was yesterday the beginning of a new attitude in America? Can we the American people strive to make everyday like inauguration day?

1 comment:

  1. you made it to DC? I'm jealous I was sick on a bus coming back to NY that day. This is St. John's fault that I missed everything!

    But I answer your question... I think people will begin to become much more open minded and conscious of what's going. but you still have folk who remain stuck in ways

    ps- i switched the name of my blog to innercitytruths.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete