Friday, October 3, 2008

Saadiqism





So my current music obsession is Raphael Saadiq. I've been a fan of Saddiq since the days of Toni Tony Tone. His current project "The Way I See It" stands out in a different way. This project cemented in my mind what a real musician is and does. A real musician is not afraid to take risks with their sounds and put out the music they want. When interviewed Saadiq said he's not trying to please anyone, he just goes in a room and creates. I respect that. I don't respect artist that try to conform to the bubble gum shitty music that radio stations seem to love to play. After seeing Saadiq perform, it is apparent that he really does just go in a room and create. I saw him at SOB's and he and his band jammed for a good 10-15minutes to his song "Be Here" from his first solo project InstantVintage. While playing the song He and his bandmates were all in a trance. You had to be there to see their facial expressions and body movements were dictated by their body's response to the sounds they were creating.



The album is what most people call a throwback to old school soul but I don't see it that way. It's Saadiqism. He's a real musician in the sense that he has listened to and studied music all his life and has made tracks that are an eclectic mix of all the sounds he has grown to love. This album has some of that 70's soul sound as well as gospel influence with a hint of Doo Wop. It reminds me of the Delfonics (Oh Girl reminds me of them), Temptations (Love that Girl), stylistics and I hear a hint of Al Greene and Marvin Gaye with Let's take a walk (this song kinda had that Pips feel to it also) in there. What makes the album even better is that Saadiq plays a good portion of the instruments himself. He does bring in other muscicians to play some instruments like his guitar player for some tracks. That man is bad!!! I must say he was rocking the most at the show.

At any rate, his cd is getting major burn in my stereo and Mp3 player




The first pic is of Mr. Raphael Saadiq the second is the guitar\bass player and third the background singers.




1 comment:

  1. i am so in love with his new album... it's so different than all the other mess that is being deemed "real r&b" right now and i love it

    ReplyDelete